header

header

5.20.2010

Does a Mantle Have to be Above a Fireplace?



Our builder used an extra large molding around the front door for decorative purposes. When we moved in, it looked just like an extra mantle to me! I decorate it for the seasons just like the one above my fireplace. See? (It's so hard to take a photo into a window!)



Because of the height, I try to use large, bold decorative pieces that won't get lost up in the air. The group of three crosses were moved to their new home once my Christmas mantle was disassembled. A little grape leaf garland pulls it together.

Imagine a large painting up there or maybe a collection of paintings overlapped and leaning against the wall?



Do you have an extra "mantle" in your home? What about decorating above a window using thinner decorative elements? I even have a friend who framed her windows with vines and flowers giving her kitchen a cottage feeling. Okay, I'll shut up now so you can go look around your own house!

One more day for Tutorial Tuesday! Your link or comment could win you an original art print from The Empty Nest!

Meet you back here tomorrow for Feedback Friday...

14 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Hopping up to check my mantles now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, what is your wall color called? I have a ledge that I decorate all the time. I think you can see it in my Hawaiian tree post. It is above my dining room with 2 columns. Can't wait to see how yours transforms throughout the seasons!

    Hey did you do a Friday Feedback on the PSA I posted? I thought I saw it but now I can't find it. I'd love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! We have a huge front window (big arch above the front door) with a sill that is about 2 inches deep ~ I always want to put some cool (narrow) vases up there or something, but I am too afraid that it will all come tumbling down when the door is shut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My house doesn't have ANY mantles, because it doesn't have a fireplace. That's probably the only thing we liked about our apartment better than our new house, because there's nothing better than curling up next to a warm fire (or having a mantle to decorate!). The extra space makes up for it though.

    Now you've got me wondering where I could install a mantle...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might just call that one a shelf. Beautiful and nicely decorated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be scared to death that stuff would fall on someone's head when they closed the door as they walked inside. I'm a freak.

    But it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! I have a friend who has a similar "mantle" shelf above her door that I love, too!

    I'd also be afraid of something falling down onto someone's head. Does that ever happen?

    Judy@cutest-little-things

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very sturdy and doesn't move at all when you close the door...I'd be afraid my whole house would fall down if closing my front door caused the wall to shake! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that! We have a mantle sort of thing over our bed. I love the look of them and since we can't have a real fireplace in our condo, it adds a nice little touch :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an excellent idea... one I might not ever have thought of! I totally love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At some point in life, I worked in a historic home (about 135 years old). We had gorgeous marble mantles and no fireplaces! The house was built with a furnace, so the mantles have always been just for show (though they were warm-- the heat vents came through the wall and the mantles were positioned over the vents). I've often thought about doing something similar (maybe putting a fun painting or something in the fireplace space), but on the other hand, nothing beats a fire and toasted marshmallows...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This door mantle looks wonderful! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the door mantel. :) I don't have any mantels, but I use the area on top of my TV armoire a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work